Thursday, January 29, 2009

Business Casual

Every morning I make a strawberry and banana smoothie, and then I sit down to read the New York Times. This morning I came across this great article on the front page. The article basically describes how the Obama White House is a lot less formal then the Bush White House was. In the Bush White House one could not even enter the Oval Office without a coat and tie on, in the Obama White House aides are allowed to wear khakis if they so desire.

Also while Bush's schedule was strictly regimented, meetings started early and ended early, Obama's meetings start on time, and end late. The article even describes a time when former Secretary of State Colin Powell was locked out of a meeting by then President Bush because he was a few minutes late. For those of you who know me personally, you can assume that if I had been a part of the Bush administration I would have found myself face to face with a locked door on a daily basis.

As much as I already love the new administration, this article made me love it even more. I love that in a time when there are serious issues at hand, we don't have a President who is wasting time on stupid formalities such as dress code. I mean the Bush administration once wasted an entire 15 minutes just to chew out an aide for wearing a sweater and not the standard coat and tie into the Oval Office on a Saturday, no wonder the Bush administration was such a failure.