Thursday, January 22, 2009

And the oscar goes to.....ME!!

Oscar nominations were announced this morning! Listed Below are the nominees in each category:

Best Picture:
  • Frost/Nixon -( Have yet to see it, but I have heard it's phenomenal. The academy loves Ron Howard so I am not surprised to see this movie on here)
  • The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (Loved it, I cried of course, although its 13 nominations seem to be a bit undeserved, there were better movies this year..i.e. MILK)
  • Milk (AMAZING favorite movie that I have seen this year, run do not walk to see this movie!)
  • Slumdog Millionaire (Another brilliant movie, although the song and dance scene at the end was a bit bizarre, but I think that was some sort of reference to Bollywood)
  • The Reader. (I don't know too much about this film other than that Kate Winslet is the star, which by default makes it a good flick)
Mar's Commentary on Best Picture Noms: Um where is The Dark Knight??? I am also surprised to see The Wrestler is not on this list, given the reviews were amazing. But I am rooting for Milk all the way, but given the Academy voted for "Crash" over "Brokeback Mountain" I am not holding my breath.

Best Actor:
  • Sean Penn (Milk) (Brilliant performance by Penn, you forget that you're watching Sean Penn)
  • Frank Langella (Frost/Nixon) (I NEED TO SEE THIS MOVIE!)
  • Mickey Rourke (The Wrestler) (I need to see this movie!!)
  • Richard Jenkins (The Visitor)
  • Brad Pitt (The Curious Case of Benjamin Button) (No comment here since I really just dont like Brad Pitt, although he was good in this movie I guess)
Mar's Commentary on Best Actor Noms: I am not surprised to see that Leonardo DiCaprio was left off this list, while I have not seen Revolutionary Road, the film was quite buzzed about, yet DiCaprio does not seem to be favored by the Academy, which is weird because I consider him to be a far superior actor to Brad Pitt. I imagine Tommy Cruise is somewhere crying because no one nominated Valkyrie for anything, "BUT I EVEN WORE AN EYE PATCH!!"

Best Actress:

  • Kate Winslet (The Reader) - Kate Winslet is the new Meryl
  • Anne Hathaway (Rachel Getting Married)- Why I have not yet seen this movie is a mystery
  • Meryl Streep (Doubt)-Meryl Streep could be filmed staring at a wall and she'd still get nominated for Best Actress
  • Angelina Jolie (Changeling) -The academy must have been like hey if we nominate brad lets nominate Angelina too, but mar says: WHERE IS MADDOX's NOMINATION!!?!??
  • Melissa Leo (Frozen River)- Am I a bad person for having never heard of either this actress, or this movie?
Best Supporting Actor:

  • Heath Ledger (The Dark Knight)-The other nominees should just not even bother to show up, because this category is in the bag for Ledger
  • Josh Brolin (Milk)-I love Josh Brolin, even his performance in the widely panned "W" I thought was brilliant
  • Michael Shannon (Revolutionary Road)
  • Robert Downey Jr. (Tropic Thunder) - One of the best actors out there right now
  • Philip Seymour Hoffman (Doubt)-Amazing actor, I have loved him ever since "Twister"
Best Supporting Actress:

  • Penelope Cruz (Vicky Cristina Barcelona)-My parents saw this movie, and loved it. I'm not sure if their endorsement means I should see it. no offense
  • Amy Adams (Doubt)-I love Amy Adams!! I believe this is her 2nd nomination after Junebug (but someone please correct me if I am wrong here)
  • Viola Davis (Doubt)
  • Taraji P. Henderson (The Curious Case of Benjamin Button)-She was great in this movie, I loved her performance. I hope we will be seeing more of her in the future
  • Marisa Tomei (The Wrestler)-If she wins, will people think the presenter messed up again? Like they did when she won for "My Cousin Vinny"
Best Director:

  • David Fincher (The Curious Case of Benjamin Button)- I think Fincher has this one in the bag..although Danny Boyle may surprise us
  • Danny Boyle (Slumdog Millionaire)-toss up with Fincher
  • Gus Van Sant (Milk)- Long shot, but I HOPE HE WINS!!
  • Ron Howard (Frost/Nixon) - is there anyone who doesnt love Ron Howard, I mean seriously the guy is freaking adorable!
  • Stephen Daldry (The Reader)
And there you have it for the major categories and nominees. Of course there are other categories, but please go look elsewhere for those since I am far too lazy to list the nominees for categories such as best sound. Although I will give a shout out to "Bolt" which was nominated in the best animated feature category, my niece Sammy loved "Bolt" so I hope it wins for her sake. Although my love of Pandas causes me to root for "Kung Fu Panda." Okay kids mar is tired from typing so I am signing off! have a good morning!!

1 comment:

My Wombinations said...

hahah. I love this. You are too funny.